Friday, September 14, 2007

Spain

First, I apologize I have no pictures. I'll add them in a few days. Forgot the correct cable. Anyway, having a blast!
We went to the first game to see Italy play the Czech Republic, in a loser out game. Ted's friend Moro (used to be a European Scout for M's) was one of the coaches for Italy. Heard many, many languages on the field. This took place up on the Parc de Mantjuic. This is where all the venues for the 92 Olympics took place. There are beautiful big stadiums and old Palaces to see up on a gorgeous mountain.
Then we went to tne Mediterranean Sea and Port Vell. First, our funny (sort of) story. We decided to take a scenic cruise on the sea, see the coastline and beaches. We started off well enough, but as soon as we got into open waters, the swells got bigger and bigger and before we know it we are being thrown around the boat. We kept laughing, but inside I kept thinking, what can I swim with, what should I leave on the boat. Then the song from Gilligans Island came into my head and I of course got the giggles. The captain had to keep cutting his engine as we hit the big waves. We were up on the second story, observation deck and getting soaked! It was quite scary! When we got the the other Port where we were to have a 10 minute break, we were supposed to get on the boat and go back!! No way...we were about to lose our cookies as it was and we were happy to be on solid ground. Another hour back to the other Port, would have probably done us in. Instead we just explored some more of the city and got our bearings. We tried to figure out the subway system with no success. We decided that Taxi's worked just great!
Observations: On the pier going out to the shops near where we caught the boat for the tour, there were no railings, no nothing to keep little ones from going off into the water. I thought, this would never happen in America...OSHA and the like. I then jumped to how to parents handle their kids at this place...they don't! We didn't see one child in all the big crowds. I thought, Man, Casey would just run off the edge into the water!
Also observed more graffiti in the city, than anywhere in the US. That surprised me.
Didn't realize that those who live in Barcelona have a variety of skin shades. Many, many white spaniards. Very few darker skinned people like I assumed it would be. Also, very modern in many, many area's of the city.
Until later....

3 comments:

Tyler said...

Wow, that sounds like quite the boat ride. I know I would have tossed a few cookies into the Mediterranean for sure. Glad you guys are having fun.

The Robinsons said...

sounds like a blast...yes my son would be in the water. Even with guard rails he still tries to get in! Casey keeps talking about Grandma and Grandpa going on a plane to Spain!

The Crouse House said...

What an adventure - look forward to seeing some pictures!!! Keep blogging so we can all enjoy!